Monday, March 3, 2008

Oil pastel gesso backgrounds


We're doing another background swap for CC Swaps. I love these because I get so many great ideas. This is an Oil Pastel Gesso background, and I can't wait to try this on canvas. Technique credited to Technique Junkies Newsletter, Winter 2008

Materials:
-White cardstock
-Oil pastels (I used blue, red, yellow, orange, bright green & pink)
-Cheap white gesso
-Foam paintbrush
-Coarse grit sandpaper
-Plastic or newsprint to cover work surfaces

Method:
-Cover cardstock with blocks of color using the oil pastels. Make sure you lay down a thick layer of color

-Scribble over with a neutral or white oil pastel (I actually forgot this step)

-Using the foam brush, paint a thin layer of gesso over the oil pastels. Let dry. If you like, do a second layer. You’ll get more coverage, but you’ll need to use a bit more elbow grease while sanding. I did two layers to get a stronger contrast

-When the gesso is dry, sand the paper randomly to reveal patches of color. The result should be a very distressed, shabby chic background.

3 comments:

  1. Looks yummy! Hope I get one in the swap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is brilliant, I am going to play with this....whilst waiting for deco books lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! Thank you so much for sharing how you did this! :0)

    ReplyDelete