Tuesday, December 11, 2007

A birthday box


I made this box for my husband Craig's birthday. It's a recycled pine candy box that I'd painted in warm reds and turquoise. On one side I painted "reaping & growing" and on the other, "living and growing." The twigs are from the massive Turkey Oak that grows in our front yard. The tags represent what Craig has sown and reaped, and they say things like "love," "family," "kids," "joy" "comfort" and "health."

The piece at the top is a sun made out of UTEE and alcohol inks (blended before melting, so as to flash off the alcohol), and made to look like the Green Man, whom Craig loves and models himself after. ;) The copper skeleton leaves became angel wings in the process, so he is a guardian angel of nature spirits. I finished the piece off with doodling using Sharpie paint pens.

It's an unusual piece for my unusual and very dear husband.

3 comments:

  1. Very cool! Happy Birthday, Craig... wish I was there to give you some birthday beard braids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this Autumn. I bet Craig was thrilled with it.
    Annie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Autumn, what a fabulous gift... it's so unique and I bet your husband loved it. Wow!

    ReplyDelete